Thursday, December 10, 2009

What a Precious Promise - For His Glory, Thursday, December 10, 2009

In the Gospel of Luke we receive what some believe to be the most accurate telling of the coming of Christ. Mary, the young woman chosen to give birth to the Messiah, was engaged to Joseph but she was not married. Upon being visited by the angel she was astonished that God would choose her. Not only that - she wasn't married and to be unmarried and "in the family way" 2000 years ago was scandalous to say the least. Yet, we learn that Mary magnified and glorified the Lord

And Mary said: "My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me-- holy is his name. His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation to generation. He has performed mighty deeds with his arm; he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts. He has brought down rulers from their thrones but has lifted up the humble. He has filled the hungry with good things but has sent the rich away empty. He has helped his servant Israel, remembering to be merciful to Abraham and his descendants forever, even as he said to our fathers."

Exactly 21 years ago I too learned that I would give birth to a child. My marital state was precarious at best and a short six weeks after learning that I was pregnant, I was widowed. Driving home one day, weeping in my car - in the days before cell phones - I was forced to pull off the road and remember vividly crying out to God - "I trust you. I don't know why this has happened but I trust you. Use this for your glory!" Many have been the times in the life of the son I gave birth to, have I cried out to God - "Holy are you, Oh, God and your mercy extends to me. You HAVE performed mighty deeds and you have not forgotten me." Jesus came to seek and save those who were lost - you and me. And the God of the Universe knows full well always what He is doing and what He is allowing and ordaining in our lives. He simply asks that we trust Him and praise Him anyway - even when we don't understand. The precious promise that Mary received was that God had chosen her and what He brought her to, His grace would bring her through. And it did. I can assure you, dear ones, that what God brought me to 21 years ago, His grace is still sustaining me through and that is His precious promise to you and me too! Trust Him with your heart and life and soul and strength and claim HIS precious promises! Loving you, with His Love and praying that ALL I do is For His Glory! AA

No comments: