Wednesday, January 20, 2010

January 20, 2010 - Rehabilitating the Heart - The Impact of Injury

I remember like it was yesterday, my indignant response when the Emergency Room physician told me that not only would I NOT be able to play softball with my new team but that I would definitely be having surgery to repair the shattered bone in my leg and by his assessment, I would be on crutches a MINIMUM of three months. "I can't have a broken leg! I'm the captain of the team." And captain I did - from the sidelines - only missing one game and that was because I was two days post-op and far too medicated to be safely motorvating with my precarious gait. But play I did not and have not. I could not have known then the impact that injury would have on my heart, my body and my life. Those who know me know that I am active and when my feet hit the floor in the morning they keep moving - usually at a very frenetic, productive pace, until they leave the floor at night. I had gotten used to a schedule of rising and sleeping, exercising, hiking, working. It seemed as if the memory of some of the trials we had encountered were fading and all that was left was what God had taught us and brought us through. Almost 30 years ago I was in a motor vehicle accident that sent me through the windshield and left many parts of my person very broken. But I was young and it seems to me that recovery came quickly. But it didn't this time and hasn't come fully yet and the results of what happened that day -May 25, 2009, have extended into areas of my life that I never could have imagined and have left more than my leg to heal. One of the most important things I have learned and am reminded of us that I WILL give God thanks and bless His name in the tough times and in the trials and not just in the good times and times of blessing. He is STILL God and His grace will NOT lead us where His grace will not sustain us. The apostle Paul, in his 2nd Letter to the Church at Corinth, Chapter 12 speaks this:
7 To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations,
there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me.
8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me.
9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.
10 That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong
It is the earnest prayer of my heart that in my weakness I am made strong through the power of Christ and that in the times of greatest weakness, when the impact is great, when I am down, I will listen intently to hear His voice and rest confidently that His grace, indeed, is sufficient for me. More to come! Yours, In Him! AA

No comments: