Wednesday, June 24, 2009

We've Already Got a Hero - For His Glory, Wednesday, June 24, 2009

This past Sunday was Father's Day and one of our pastors spoke of how much he loved and admired his father. He told of how his father was his "hero." It moved me to tears to hear Pastor Dan say how proud he was of his father and that he was named after his father and that there were many, many stories he could tell of his dad. One of the thoughts that came to mind, hearing Pastor Don Wilson give the statistics of the fatherless, was "who is THEIR hero?" Well, my friends - every one of us has a hero. His name is Jesus. Webster's Online Dictionary defines "hero" as

1 a: a mythological or legendary figure often of divine descent endowed with great strength or ability b: an illustrious warrior c: a man admired for his achievements and noble qualities d: one that shows great courage . . .an "object" of extreme admiration and devotion, i.e. "an idol."

For those of us who believe, by Faith, in the one true and living God and His son Jesus, we know that Jesus is of divine descent and He was endowed by His Father God with the "great courage" to lay down His life for us on the cross so that we could have a restoration of the fellowship with the Almighty God that our sin nature has taken from us. Jesus told us that we were His "friends" and John 15:13 says "Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends." Jesus set the standard for what it is to be a "hero" and in the struggles I have encountered raising the children God blessed me with, I know that daily, I have to humble myself before the Throne of Grace to learn how best to parent them and how best to be the wife that God has for me to be. More importantly, my friends, I am learning that I don't need an earthly "hero" because Jesus is already our hero. My dad, my brother, my husband and other men like them are wonderful men who are the textbook definition of "courageous" but there are many, like my older son, who never got to meet their father and could never engage in the schoolyard exchange of "my dad can beat your dad" and they are left to ask "will someone be my hero?" Someone already is! While my heart breaks for those who don't appear to have someone to mentor them, the prayer of my heart is that each of us will take seriously the call to be the one who points the fatherless and wounded to the Savior. I am only a Mom and I am human and imperfect and while I would CERTAINLY take a bullet for my children, I cannot say for certain I would "lay down my life" for just anyone - even my best girlfriends but Jesus did JUST THAT. It is the earnest prayer of my heart that one Godly follower of Christ would come along side those who feel alone, and point them to the true hero - Jesus. And with that prayer I am asking the Almighty to anoint me with the aroma of Christ - that I be filled with the fruits of the spirit - love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness - cuz I am no one's "hero" at this point and not sure that I will ever be called to be. But I know The Hero - I know who laid down HIS life for me - do you? If you don't - e-me or give me a call. I'll meet you where you are and share with you how you, too, can have a relationship with a real Hero. If you already know the salvation of Jesus, will you join me in pointing the world to Him? Keep me accountable as it is the desire of my heart that ALL I do be For His Glory! Loving you, with His Love - AA

No comments: