Wednesday, February 18, 2009

An Attitude of Gratitude

Our sweet Pastor has been teaching a series entitled "Encounters with Jesus" and this week's message was from Luke, Chapter 17 about the 10 lepers who were healed by Jesus - but only one, a Samaritan, returned to thank Him. Jesus asked the one who had returned where the other nine were because they, too, had been healed. One of the questions that was posited by Pastor Don was are we thankful for what God has done or just what He has done lately? I really had to think about that one because our sweet little family has been through some tough stuff for several years. No one has died. No serious illness, nothing we can't or won't recover from but stuff that tests the mettle . . . and the faith. Most of us deal with car "issues" and we're no different but it seems like we've got a heap of them lately. The Bear's Jeep has been in the shop three times since the first of the year and my van is next. This last repair was more than our overtaxed budget could hold but we had to get it fixed - the Jeep would not go and even had to be towed to the shop. On Monday Bear went down to pick up the Jeep and, upon handing the check to the owner of the shop, was told that our debt had been paid - in full - the exact amount. "The One" who had paid for the repair wished to remain anonymous. While I am eternally grateful and am praying for an opportunity to pay it anonymously forward, I was humbled. In my whining about what I didn't have, I had been neglecting to daily thank God for all He has done for us - we have Jesus and a one-on-one abiding relationship with the Triune God, we have a home, our health, employment, many wonderful and loving friends, and the privilege to lead and teach. In my gratitude, I am humbled because it is not about what God has done lately, but what He first did when He sent His Son, Jesus, to die for me. I needed a reminder and God, in His infinite Mercy saw fit to look beyond the fault of my whining, to the immediate need and meet the need as only He can. It is my prayer that I will always look beyond the immediate and see the eternal and be willing to be used as His instrument to further His Kingdom, For His Glory.

"Amazing Grace’ shall always be my song of praise
For it was grace that bought my liberty
I do not know just why he came to love me so
He looked beyond my fault and saw my need
I shall forever lift mine eyes to Calvary
To view the cross where Jesus died for me
How marvelous the grace that caught my falling soul
He looked beyond my fault and saw my need"
Dottie Rambo, 1970

2 comments:

azdesertcatsd said...

Wow, what a wonderful gift. How nice of them.

For His Glory said...

Yeah - a definite blessing and a reminder that God meets our needs, in His way, in His time, For His Glory. Love ya Sher! :) AA